Fig. 10. Embryo of a little brown bat (Myotis lucifugus).
Bats and Their Young. 1875.
Yoga for the core !
- Boat pose : Begin by laying down on your back, lift your shoulders off the flood, then hug your knees and lift your legs as well. Slowly come up, keeping everything engaged and a flat back, strong abs. Variation : hold your toes coming from a comfortable seat ( first picture), slowly lift your legs, keeping your flat back and your core engaged. You will fall haha. I did. You can also hold the sides of your feet ( third picture). Don’t forget to breathe and smile.
- Leg lift - Begin by laying down, your arms extended at your side. Lift your shoulders off the floor, extend your arms towards the opposite wall and lift your legs (extended). Exhale. Variation : begin in the same position, lift your shoulders and one leg at the same time, exhale, come down, inhale, repeat, change the leg. Tiny little package - lay down on the floor, hug your knees to your chest and lift your shoulders, trying to touch your knees with your forehead. Exhale up, inhale down. Engage your core.
- Plank pose - Downward facing dog, exhale. Inhale, transfer your weight forward to plank pose, then come back to down dog, lift one leg and bring your knee to your chest and try to kiss it. Come back to down dog, lift one leg and touch your arm pit. Repeat on each side
- Camel pose variation : Start on your knees, with a flat back with your toes curled ( fourth line, first picture). Slowly lower backward, using your core to support you. Don’t bend your back, especially your lower back. Come back to first position and repeat. Locust pose - Lay on the floor, facing your mat and with your arms extended ( don’t sleep). Open your heart and push your belly on the floor to lift your chest and your legs. Side plank - From plank pose, transfer your weight on one arm, and lift the other pointing toward the ceiling. Try to lift your but toward the ceiling for extra obliques work.
- These are more advanced poses, don’t attempt them if you are a beginner —— Firefly - Not yet mastered as you can see. From wide legs forward fold, try to walk your hands behind your legs. Shit I can’t explain : Watch this ! Headstand core work- begin in a handstand ( tuto here), and in an exhale, lower down your legs, and up ( exhale), and down… Crow pose - Tutorial here
Hope this helps give you a strong core to kick some ass!!